How to Apply
You MUST apply at https://tinyurl.com/48debjyx by September 26, 2022 at midnight EST to be considered.
NCDOT is a Great Place to Work.
Don’t take our word for it. Read what our people are saying at https://bit.ly/NCDOTGreatPlaceToWork.
We are the highest rated state agency for employee satisfaction on Glassdoor with 200+ reviews.
NEW HIGHER SALARY: $41,429 – $72,500
NCDOT manages one of the largest ferry fleets in North America, and we are looking for a Ferry Master to join our Cherry Branch team. You will have full responsibility for operating US Coast Guard-Inspected vessels across North Carolina near coastal, sound, and river waterways. NCDOT Ferry operates vessels of varying gross tonnage, on various waterways, and in varying weather and work conditions.
In this role you will:
- Supervise deck, above deck, and engine room crew.
- Assure safe operation and navigation of the ferry vessel while underway.
- Enforce safety guidelines and rules for vessel crew and passengers.
- Interpret radar, Global Positioning Systems (GPS), and weather instruments, and oversee these operations.
- Ensure compliance with all safety and Homeland Security rules and regulations.
This position works a 7 days on/7 days off schedule.
Your work will be reviewed by superiors through written reports and by US Coast Guard inspections.
What You Bring
- Knowledge of operations and basic maintenance of ferry vessels.
- Thorough knowledge of applicable State, federal, and US Coast Guard laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of radar, navigational, GPS and communication equipment used in ferry vessel operations.
- Experience supervising and instructing crew in all areas of ferry operations.
- Skills reading chart and plotting courses.
- Experience navigating vessels involving ship handling and seamanship.
- A valid Merchant Marine Credential (MMC) license for 1,600 gross tons or higher.
- A valid certificate as Radar Observer issued by an institution approved by the US Coast Guard.
- A valid Marine Radio Operator permit issued by the Federal Communications Commission.
- A Transportation Worker Identification Credential Card (TWIC) issued by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA).
To learn more and get your TWIC go to: https://www.dco.uscg.mil/nmc/twic
To learn more and get your MMC go to: https://www.dco.uscg.mil/nmc/merchant_mariner_credential
Call me: Terri Grubbs at 252.423.5126.
Connect to NCDOT Careers at
Learn more about great careers with NCDOT Ferry: https://bit.ly/JoinNCDOTFerry
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org