Maritime Institute is seeking a Student Services Associate to perform reception, customer service, and administrative tasks as a part of our Student Services Team in Norfolk, VA. Maritime Institute is the largest privately held maritime training company in the U.S., training over 10,000 mariners per year. This role requires an individual who has experience in or is willing to learn the maritime industry and, very importantly, the training and qualification needs for our customers. This is a dynamic environment requiring proactive, clear, and courteous communication with customers and co-workers throughout the day (telephone and in-person). Success requires resourcefulness, the ability to learn and understand detailed administrative procedures and perform them accurately while also possessing the mindset to think through issues and clearly explain them to others. If you have previous experience in a customer service or administrative position, have a positive can-do attitude, and enjoy working with the customers, we would like to meet you!
REPORTS TO: Student Services Manager
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- As main receptionist, act as the first point of contact for customers and visitors.
- Create and maintain student records such as confirmation letters, rosters, and completion certificates.
- Perform data entry, document scanning, and filing.
- Maintain paper and electronic files as required.
- Support the instructor staff with student administration and classroom setup.
- Prepare and distribute correspondence (electronic and written) and reports when requested by other staff.
- Order office supplies.
- Provide timely resolution of customer complaints, concerns, and inquiries.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Strong customer service skills while exhibiting patience, courtesy, and compassion.
- Ability to write effectively and critically with strong proof-reading skills.
- Ability to perform duties with high accuracy and in a timely manner.
- Strong time management skills and the ability to prioritize work in a dynamic environment.
- Strong attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong computer skills (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Experience with office equipment and office management systems.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- This is a dynamic office environment that requires working alongside others who may be talking on the phone or with students/co-workers; requires the ability to focus while surrounded with potential distractions.
- Frequently required to stand and walk.
- Continually required to sit.
- Continually required to utilize hand and finger dexterity.
- Frequently required to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel or crawl.
- Continually required to talk or hear.
- Continually required to utilize visual acuity to operate office equipment and use a keyboard and computer.
- Occasionally required to lift/push/carry items up to 25 pounds.
- Adaptability–Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Dependability–Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Ethics–Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values.
- Initiative–Volunteers readily; undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions and calculated risks; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation–Displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; generates suggestions for improving work; develops innovative approaches and ideas; presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
- Oral Communication–Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills; participates in meetings.
- Organizational Support–Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization’s goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Professionalism–Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
- Project Management–Develops project plans; coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget; manages project team activities.
- Teamwork–Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $19.00 – $21.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: In person
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com