How to Apply
You MUST apply at https://bit.ly/3sFyJH9 by June 13, 2022 at midnight EST to be considered.
NCDOT is a Great Place to Work.
Don’t take our word for it. Read what our people are saying at https://bit.ly/NCDOTGreatPlaceToWork.
We are the highest rated state agency for employee satisfaction on Glassdoor with 200+ reviews.
We are looking for an experienced Ferry Chief Engineer with a passion for supervising and coordinating vessel teams operating and maintaining propulsion and other engines, generators, deck, machinery, electrical, refrigeration and sanitation equipment on ferry vessels to join our Hatteras Ferry operations team.
In this role, you will lead the teams operating our engineering systems in accordance with rules and regulations established by the U.S. Coast Guard, North Carolina Department of Transportation and policies and procedures of the Ferry Division. You will ensure that we adhere to all safety and Homeland Security rules and regulations.
What You Bring
- Knowledge of the operations, maintenance and repairs of marine diesel and gas engines, pumps, generators and other auxiliary equipment.
- Knowledge of State, Federal, and U.S. Coast Guard laws and regulations regarding occupational hazards and safety precautions for engine room work aboard vessels.
- Demonstrated ability supervising personnel in all areas of engine room operations.
- Demonstrated ability to overhaul and maintain complex engineering equipment up to including large internal combustion diesel engines.
- Skills repairing and performing required periodic maintenance of vessel equipment in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions, Coast Guard regulations, and Ferry Division Policy.
Education and Experience
Valid US Coast Guard license as Chief Engineer or Designated Duty Engineer with appropriate horsepower for the vessel operated.
Merchant Mariner credential endorsed as 1,000-Horespower limited chief engineer or higher, or license as 1,000-horsepower limited assistant engineer or higher, or 4,000-horsepower designated duty engineer or higher must be uploaded/attached and listed on your application and presented at your interview.
Transportation Worker Identification Credential Card (TWIC) issued by the Transportation Security Administration.
Work schedule is 7 days on/7 days off.
A copy of both your TWIC and Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC) endorsed as 1000 HP Limited Chief Engineer or higher, or license as 1000 HP Limited Assistant Engineer or Higher, or 4000 HP Designated Duty Engineer or Higher must be presented during your interview.
To learn more and get your TWIC go to: https://www.dco.uscg.mil/nmc/twic
To learn more and get your Able Seaman Certificate (MMC) go to: https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/NMC/pdfs/helpful_links/how_to_obtain_mmc.pdf
Call me: Catherine Peele at 252.423.5129.
Connect to NCDOT Careers at
To apply for this job please visit bit.ly.