Website Colonna's Shipyard
Colonna’s Shipyard is seeking an experienced Tugboat Operator to support operations in Norfolk, VA.
• Controls operation of tugboat equipment and systems.
• Applies knowledge of tug operations, deck operations, traffic control, emergency procedures, and vessel equipment.
• Monitor Processes, Materials, or Surroundings: monitor equipment or machine operation to detect problems; monitor sonar or navigational aids; stand watch on vessel.
• Responsible for completion of all company paperwork including but not limited to logs, drills, fuel consumption, vessel, and barge condition reports,
• Ensures that charts, navigational aids, safety manuals, vessel operations plans, barge and tug documents, are on board the tug, readily available and up to date.
• Quickly and repeatedly adjust the controls of a vessel to exact positions.
• Determines channel selection and towing speed based on specialized knowledge of local winds, weather, and tides.
• Maintains records of daily activities, movements, and ports-of-call, and prepares progress and personnel reports.
• Maintains overall preservation and presentation of the Tugboat.
• Inspect vessels to ensure efficient and safe operation of vessels and equipment, and conformance to regulations.
• Arrange for ships to be fueled, restocked with supplies, and/or repaired.
• Diagnostic, troubleshooting, and preventive maintenance measures to ensure proper operation and longevity of the tugboat.
• Tow and maneuver barges, or signal tugboats to tow barges to destinations
• Convey information to others effectively / signal directions or warnings to coworkers.
• Navigate tug and barge combination to destination while avoiding reefs, outlying shoals, and other hazards to ship utilizing navigation aids.
• Oversees docking and undocking evolutions.
• Move and assist with vessel movement within the shipyard.
• Observes, complies, and enforces all company safety policies.
• Work independently to complete responsibilities
• Other duties may be assigned as workload requirements dictate.
• Assist the Dock Shop in blocking, hauling, and launching.
• Must have a high school diploma or equivalent and at least three (3) years of experience operating tugboats and other related vessels
• Must have knowledge of principles and methods for moving goods by Virginia waterways.
• Must know how to make up tow lines.
• Must be able to see objects at a distance, at close range, in low light conditions, and in the presence of a glare or bright lighting.
• Must be a steady, reliable worker.
• Must be able to comprehend and follow simple instructions.
• Must be able to complete responsibilities with minimal direction.
• Must have regular, reliable attendance.
• Knowledge of U.S. Coast Guard Regulations preferred.
• United States Coast Guard recognized license preferred.
• Ability to obtain DBIDS and TWIC preferred.
• Technical training preferred.
• Prior shipyard experience preferred.
• U.S. Citizenship Required.
• Minimal Travel; 10% or less.
• Must be able to lift, carry and transport heavy equipment and boxes. The exact weight requirements will be determined by the specific job, but no less than 20 lbs.
• Must be physically agile to perform tasks in naval ships. Able to work on and climb ladders, work in extreme temperature environments, aboard ships, in shipyards, under industrial conditions and in confined spaces, including enter and moving through manholes.
• May ride ships at sea for extended periods
• Able to perform other duties as required which may involve high heat, humidity, noise and dirty conditions, working aloft or over the sides of vessels.
• Frequent exposure to noise due to machinery and equipment.
• Employee is required to operate trucks, forklifts & man-lifts.
• While performing the duties of this job, you may frequently be required to stand, walk & sit; use hands or fingers; handle or feel; talk and hear. Occasionally required to reach with hands and arms, climb and balance, stoop, squat, kneel, twist and crawl.
• Work in extreme temperatures and conditions. At times you will work in areas that have less adequate ventilation
• Frequent use of respirator.
• Protective clothing or equipment and face shields or goggles shall be worn when welding, cutting, or working with molten metal.
Respect, Pride, Truth, Family – These are our VALUES and the guidelines that make us a leader in our industry. We are pleased and confident in stating that our skilled employees are among the most respected experts in the ship repair industry.
Colonna’s Shipyard Inc., and its divisions, are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Additionally, Colonna’s Shipyard provides a variety of benefits to support your best health, wellness, and future, to include medical/dental/vision options, company paid disability insurances, 401k with match, legal services, as well as company paid holidays and paid time off (PTO).
To apply for this job please visit www.colonnaship.com.