Website NCDOT Ferry Division
Join NCDOT & be part of the Smart Transportation revolution!
How to Apply
You must apply at https://bit.ly/3LAovls by May 10, 2023 at midnight EST.
NCDOT is a Great Place to Work.
Don’t take our word for it. Read what our people are saying at https://bit.ly/NCDOTGreatPlaceToWork.
We are the highest rated state agency for employee satisfaction on Glassdoor with 250+ reviews.
NEW HIGHER SALARY: $47,959 – $83,928
We are looking for an experienced Marine QA Specialist to join our Manns Harbor Team.
In this role, you will:
- Supervise and manage our technical work in the inspection, surveying, and monitoring completion of repair work for all Ferry Division vessels and equipment.
- Oversee and survey vessels, generate work lists, note deficiencies to codes and regulations, and assist in the preparation of shipyard maintenance specifications and repair contracts.
- Serve as our state representative for contracts at commercial shipyards.
- Assure that all specifications and codes are adhered to during repair and construction work.
- Perform quality control inspections and surveys.
- Review and evaluate the feasibility of shipyard work requests, perform complete visual and instrumental inspections of vessels, note mechanical or structural problems, recommend levels of repair, and assist in the research of materials, codes, and regulations.
- Inspect all work and materials associated with repairs.
- Interpret and determine conformance to specifications.
- Negotiate supplemental work agreements or deletions.
- Select and approve subcontractors.
- Make decisions relating to change orders and evaluate progress to determine amount of progress payments.
- Coordinate the delivery, return, acceptance tests, sea trials, and inspection of vessels by U.S. Coast Guard inspectors.
- Train and instruct vessel crews in the use of new machinery and equipment.
- Evaluate vessel operational problems.
- Research solutions and new construction/modification designs.
- Develop recommendations to the Marine Engineer.
- Work under general supervision and be reviewed through discussions with your supervisor, reports, and project results.
What You Bring
- Knowledge of shipbuilding trades and applicable codes and standards.
- Skills using testing instruments, such as calipers, micrometers, hygrometers, manometers, tachometers, thickness gauge and pressure measuring devices.
- Demonstrated experience inspecting vessel repairs and modifications and negotiating with owners or their representatives.
- Demonstrated ability to read and interpret shipyard maintenance specifications, repair contracts, and blueprints.
- Demonstrated ability to research and interpret codes, regulations, ship modifications, and new techniques in shipbuilding.
Education & Experience
High school/GED diploma, and
5+ years experience in the inspection or construction of steel ships, including
2+ years experience with US Coast Guard marine regulations; or
An equivalent combination of education or experience.
Call me: Amy Jordan at 252.423.5111
Connect to NCDOT Careers: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ncdot-careers
See all NCDOT jobs at: https://bit.ly/ncdotjobs
To apply for this job please visit bit.ly.